Laser and IPL hair removal are by far the best possible alternatives for permanent hair removal.
But when it comes to procedures we don’t quite understand how they work, it’s really important to read up on the facts, to make sure the treatment is right for you and you are fully aware what to expect.
So we’ve prepared a list of important points you’ll need to know before starting IPL or any form of laser treatment.
- The process sounds painful, but it isn’t too bad
The light produced by IPL pulses converts to heat, which damages the hair follicle and hair bulb. People often found it to be a quick, sharp pain which they found a little bit more painful on thinner skin near nose, chin and temples. The important thing here is to keep the body cool after treatment.
- Patience at the start pays off. It takes 3 - 6 sessions to see a difference
People start seeing real results after 2 treatments. You also have to be really regular with your sessions because your hair follicles are all at different stages of their growth, so you want to make sure each one has a chance to get reached.
- It only takes a few seconds or minutes depending on the area you are working on
Legs will be the area that takes the longest, but you can do your armpits, brazilian or face in under 5 minutes.
- You have to shave the area and remove make up
- You have to wait at least 24 hours before going to the gym, sauna or taking a hot shower
Hot environments are perfect for bacteria to multiply which can increase the chance to give you spots.
- No sun before or after treatment
If you have a tan, wait for until it fades first.
- Avoid scrubs, glycolic acid and retinol creams for at least 48 hours before and after
The same goes for fake tans and chemical peels where you should wait for at least 2 weeks prior and after.
- IPL reduces those annoying ingrowing hairs
This is because the treatment encourages hair to grow straight and reduces irritation.
- You can’t pluck, epilate or wax the hair before. Just shave
The light needs a little bit of hair so it can travel to the root.
- You will see full results after 8 - 12 sessions
No form of hair removal is fully permanent though as fluctuating hormones can make it grow again. so you will need to retouch every now and then.